Environmental Leadership in the Tile Industry
What is Green Squared®?
Green Squared ® is the first multi-attribute sustainability standard developed for tile and tile installation products by The Tile Council of North America. Green Squared combines the transparency and consensus of the ANSI process combined with third-party certification to validate and communicate product sustainability throughout the lifecycle. Certification provides confidence to specifiers and contributes to a host of green building certification schemes including LEED, Green Globes, NAHB, is U.S. EPA Recommended and GSA Specified. The standard covers product characteristics, manufacturing, end of life management, progressive corporate governance and innovation to establish sustainability criteria for products. Certification is valid for five years with annual surveillance audits. SCS Global Services is one of only two providers of Green Squared Certification.
Why Choose SCS?
SCS Global Services is a leading third-party verification body with nearly 40-years of experience. As one of the original and only certifiers for Green Squared, SCS provides specially trained and knowledgeable auditors to assess each of your facilities and maintain surveillance over your facilities during the certification period. Backed by the leading tile industry association TCNA, Green Squared is the benchmark for tile manufactures and the manufacturers of tile installation materials to stand out in their sector. SCS provides a single source for certifications in the green building industry. Complimentary certifications include EPDs, HPDs, Recycled Content, FloorScore and more.
- Program Details
- Meet Specifier Requirements
- Program Documents
The following products may qualify for certification including, but not limited to: ceramic, porcelain, and glass tile; stone; and relevant installation goods.
Under the Green Squared certification standard, products are evaluated based on successful conformance with criteria under five categories:
- Product Characteristics
- Manufacturing and Raw Material Extraction
- End of Product Life Management
- Progressive Corporate Governance
- SCS scopes the project and prepares a proposal that includes a detailed explanation of the process, deliverables, cost, and timeline.
- Client agrees to scope, purchases the Green Squared standard, and an SCS account manager is assigned to guide the client through the certification process.
- Data Collection
- Client completes the Data Request Form, identifying mandatory and elective credits to be pursued, and submits it to the auditor along with supporting documentation.
- Once sufficient data is collected, an onsite audit is scheduled.
- Onsite Audit
- The SCS auditor conducts an onsite audit(s).
- Manufacturers with multiple sites may have audits spread out over two years.
- Corrective Actions
- Client responds to any audit findings.
- The SCS auditor prepares the assessment report that details the findings of the audit.
- Certification Decision
- An SCS reviewer conducts a final review of the assessment report and makes the certification decision.
- Upon successful certification, client is listed in SCS Green Products Guide and is granted the right to use the approved logo, consistent with SCS guidelines.
- Certification Maintenance
- Certification is valid for five years.
- Surveillance audits of a sampling of credits are required annually.
- Full renewal is required every five years.
Green Squared qualifies for the following LEED v4.1 pilot credit:
- LEED BD+C: New Construction LEED v4.1 - Certified Multi-Attribute Products and Materials (pilot credit)
- To garner a LEED point under this credit, at least 25% by cost of the permanently installed building products on a project must meet a USGBC-approved product sustainability standard, like Green Squared, and have third-party validation to prove it.
- Products eligible to meet the LEED pilot credit must have conducted a product level LCA and use reclaimed manufacturing waste or recycled materials within the product.
Green Squared is also approved to meet purchasing requirements for U.S. government agencies established by the EPA.
- Contributes to LEED v4.1 credits and other building schemes
- Meets criteria for EPA ecolabel and GSA procurement requirements
- Provides a comprehensive review of manufacturers’ sustainability program
- Guides manufacturers on a path towards continuous improvement
- Meets minimum entry criteria for inclusion in the mindfulMATERIALS product library
Ready to start the process? Complete an Application.