- Apply for Certification
- Complete and submit an SCS Application Form
- SCS scopes project and prepares a Work Order with a timeline and quote.
- Client signs Work Order and returns to SCS to initiate project.
- Data Collection
- SCS auditor works with the client to collect necessary data according to the standard.
- SCS auditor schedules onsite audit with the client.
- Onsite Audit
- SCS Auditor observes operations on the farm, interviews workers, and examine records related to the requirements of the standard. The audit takes 1-2 days per farm site.
- Draft Assessment Report
- SCS auditor writes a draft assessment report that details the findings of the audit, which includes data analysis, non-conformities, and opportunities for improvement.
- SCS submits a quote for conducting the audit.
- Corrective Actions
- Client responds to any non-conformities with a Corrective Action Plan.
- Client may also make comments and responses to the information contained in the report and the conclusions drawn by the auditor.
- Certification Decision
- SCS conducts a final technical review of the assessment report and makes the final certification decision.
- If certification is granted, SCS issues to the client a certificate verifying compliance with the standard.
- Upon certification, the client is listed on the SCS website and will be introduced to the SCS marketing team to discuss marketing support of certification.
- Certification Maintenance and Renewal
- Certification is valid for three years.
- Annual onsite audits are required under the standard to maintain your certification. Audits may be scheduled to take place during times of higher risk (i.e. marking and shearing) at the discretion of the SCS.
As consumers become more aware of where their wool comes from, brands and retailers need to ensure their wool suppliers use ethical and sustainable sourcing practices. The Responsible Wool Standard (RWS) is a voluntary program that helps sheep farmers meet consumer, retailer, and brand demands. The standard certifies they meet rigorous animal welfare and land management requirements. The driving brands and industry organizations behind the standard include H&M, Kering, Patagonia, and Outdoor Industry Association.
SCS has highly qualified auditors experienced in animal welfare inspections who are regionally located to support sheep farms worldwide. Our company mission is based on environmental sustainability, and we have deep knowledge of supply chain and responsible sourcing practices in the textile industry. Once certified, our team provides additional marketing support to help promote your certification and sustainability achievements.
- Program Documents
Ready to start the process? Complete an Application.